FR. AGNEL SCHOOL, NEW DELHI
September 14, 2017
Dear Parents, Greetings from the School. All of us are aware of the horrific incident where a student was killed allegedly by a conductor/driver in the premises of a School in Gurgaon. It is an unusually wild incident because it defies human understanding. It should make us aware of what can be done to prevent any untoward incident. Prejudice/suspicion against all around us will not do us any good, nor is it right that we consider the poorer people or people who do small jobs for their living, including guards, helpers as criminals because that would be unjust/racial. What we need to do is to minimize possible danger and harm to our children. Let us see how we have done it in School.
1. You know that no one is allowed entry in the school, without verification. All parents have to produce their identity card for legal entry into the school.
2. Parents are not allowed to walk around on the school floors unless when required to do so, for PTM and functions. Parents therefore must comply with the norms so that all of us are safe and the security staff is allowed to control access.
3. We are soon setting up a security system that will scan and record the face of the visitor and after recording his/her telephone no and address, will create a database that will be validated and recorded for further use. For the first time this process may be a little cumbersome but for the next time and thereafter it will be smooth.
3.1.1 Once the details are recorded, the same will be flashed to the person the visitor wants to meet, for approval, and if not desired , allow telephonic conversation or disallow entry if the person is not available.
3.1.2 In case an unauthorized person comes to the school to take a child, the data and photo of the visitor, will be flashed to the parent, to confirm by written message that such person is authorized and the same will be recorded.
3.1.3 On exit, the visitor must record his/her exit on the device, or else the next time this person will not be permitted entry by the device.
4. No drivers or conductors are allowed access into the school building and they have their own separate washroom, and a new one will be built closer to the wall.
5. The school campus is electronically secured with 140 cameras covering all areas 24/7 and it is regularly monitored.
6. All washroom access areas are also clearly covered by electronic surveillance.
7. Regarding Transport: you may be aware of the following:
i. All buses have a School deputed Teacher or attendant, and all buses are government regulations compliant, as they have been certified by the Transport authority.
ii. We are making efforts to place GPS devices in the school buses but the private operators and the DTC are resisting the move and hence a govt. intervention may be required. Our school owned buses have GPS installed in them more than 2 years ago.
iii. All buses have accompanied school authorized person.
iv. In the morning our lady helpers accompany Pres-School children and in the afternoon an additional teacher accompanies the bus. The teacher is not allowed to join the buses in the morning since she has to teach the whole day and therefore that is not permitted, as contrary to law and contrary to the teacher’s profile of teaching which is very demanding.
8. The School has a resident nurse with facilities for first aid and even an oxygen cylinder. In emergencies the nurse is authorized to refer the child to RGICR 100 mtrs away, and a child who is sick and needs attention can be taken to the hospital without any reference to the Principal.
9. We are streamlining the security norms for students coming to School in the morning and leaving in the afternoon. STUDENTS WILL BE ALLOWED TO ENTER THE SCHOOL ONLY FROM 7.00 A.M. ONWARDS. THIS APPLIES TO ALL STUDENTS. ALL STUDENTS MUST VACATE THE SCHOOL PREMISES AFTER 2.10 P.M. SPECIAL FOR PARENTS WHO HAVE HIRED PRIVATE VANS FOR TRANSPORTING THEIR WARDS:
10. We are aware that some parents have hired private vans to transport their wards to and from school. We also understand that they have done so for their personal convenience and we have no issues on that matter. However we feel it is our duty to inform you about the following:
10.1.1. It is duty of the parents to verify the security of the drivers and conductors of the private vans, as also the physical fitness of the vehicles concerned.
10.1.2 Parents must also check if the drivers and conductors have valid licences and have no suspect record.
10.1.3 It is also the duty of the parents concerned to ensure that the vans are not overloaded and safety norms are followed.
10.1.4 The parents of those students who travel to and from school must provide a duly signed affidavit on a 10 rupee stamped paper that they
(i) have chosen to send their ward by private van/bus,
(ii) that they are responsible for the verification of the drivers and conductors, and
(iii) that they are monitoring the safety of their kids.
10.1.5 STUDENTS TRAVELLING BY PRIVATE VANS WILL BE ALLOWED TO ENTER SCHOOL ONLY AFTER 7.A.M. STUDENTS USING PRIVATE VANS MUST LEAVE THE SCHOOL PREMISES BY 2.10 P.M.
I am writing to you to assure you that we are conscious of our duty and we are putting in place all that is required and considered to be necessary for the safety of the children, when in the school.